What is the HackDay?
HackDay is a hackathon traditionally organized a day before the EIJC & Dataharvest conference. During the whole day, we dive into different datasets with a diverse group of professionals from different backgrounds.
This year, the Hack Day will be held on the 16th of May at the Thomas More Hogeschool in Mechelen, Belgium. You can participate in the HackDay only or join as part of the conference. The price is €10.
Which topics and data are we covering this year?
We will look into health&pharma and housing conditions. For each topic, we have collected some data, but are also actively looking for data sets. We will discuss this in our digital meeting space, after you register.
Who do we need?
We need people of various skills to help us analyze the data.
- Topic masters: Are you more than familiar with one of the topics? We are looking for participants from academia, business and journalism that know what is going on and help us find stories.
- Data analysts: Do you know how to clean, combine and analyze (ask questions) data? It doesn’t matter if you are familiar with statistics or machine learning, or whether you use excel or R.
- Journalists: We would like the day to result in a publications. For that we need journalists to interview the topic masters and work with the data analysts and publish in their medium
Why should you join us?
- To learn: If you wonder what is possible in the realm of data analysis, various automations, but also storytelling based on data, if you have a great dataset in mind, but nobody that understands it, this is the place.
- To meet awesome people: EIJC & Dataharvest is also about meeting new colleagues from across fields and countries that are equally passionate about the journalistic craft as you are!
- To find stories: Bring a new story, angle, tools to work on when you return to the desk in your newsroom.